Saturday, August 15, 2009

RSC Cape Idea

Here are my views regarding the news of the Runescape Classic Cape cancellation. Now because I'm a fair guy I'll post my views for both sides of this argument. If you don't know anything about the Runescape Classic Cape idea, then your most likely a RS2 user.

The original idea for the idea came from the classic community's desire to stand-out in RS2. I guess this is where the divide for this idea first arose, but I'll get back to that later. Now in the past a few players requested a "blue crown" to be displayed for any "active" user of classic while they were on the forums and in-game.

However the idea that took peoples attention the most was the "cape". A few players dared to envisioned what this "godly" cape would look like. Some took to using "text" art and a few used Microsoft Paint to doodle out this cape. Some even took the time to dream about what possible emote this cape would have.

For better or for worse, I placed it upon myself to create a logical method for players to even receive the cape. Now I'll provide a link to the rough draft of the quest. Although at the time of posting it is still "alive" in the quest suggestion forums.

A few players questioned some of the staffers at Jagex if we would one day get this cape. At first the response was one of "yes" but as the months passed by the idea began to evolve. This idea to Jagex was changed from a Cape for RSC players only, to one for all Veteran players of a certain "character age".

Now let me explain the division that the Cape has caused the classic community. For those of you who can't play classic you will not be aware of a few things, most of which I will not describe here. Regardless some players who play classic saw the Classic Cape as a means for players who just made the cut-off time for classic as a "free idea". Some players also thought the idea of getting an item in RS2 because you can play classic as insane. "You should just be happy that you can play classic."

The side of players who wanted the Cape to come to light screamed when they saw Mod Mmg claim that the idea was scrapped. Some said they had lost even more faith in Jagex, for not going through with what they had said. Those who wanted the Cape saw it as a means to show how long they have played and there general long term "support" for Jagex. Another reason why players wanted the cape was because they felt it was the least Jagex could do for them, likewise for supporting them over the years.

As for my view on the matter of to Cape or not to Cape, my answer it to not. Even if I might be to blame for getting players hopes up with a quest-outline. I did that because it is fun to write random drawn-out stories time-to-time. My main reason to appose the idea is because of this: This desire to stand-out amongst other players. The need to be different is a noble one I suppose but placing all your hopes into a item that NO OTHERS can get because they never played classic is insane...

I guess the reason for such a large out-cry from the Runescape Classic community was because of a "broken" promise and this over bearing sense of "entitlement". Just because you can play Classic right now DOES NOT MEAN your entitled to ANYTHING special. Also I do take issue with this item being in RS2. The point is to show you can play classic? So why do you not do so? I have to think in some users cases that, those who complained the loudest played classic the least.

In closing I think Jagex made the correct move by dismissing the Classic Cape idea. I think if they decide to go with a general "veteran" cape for long time users of __ years I'd be happy. As the notion of getting something for logging on a long time ago has already given passed. *Beats the whinners with Bunny Ears and Scyths.*

1 comments:

Meili September 3, 2009 at 7:13 AM  

The cape was a silly idea anyway. Newer players would resent such a thing, and rightly, too. Playing for years and years doesn't make you that special.

*cough* I have my bunny ears, scythe and rares.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template PingooIgloo by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP